Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bright Ideas Blog Hop - Informational Writing Bracelets

I just love this blog link-up!  It is my absolute favorite.  It makes me want to go in and start completely revamping my classroom from the inside out.


I'm SO excited to share this idea with you.  I love it, my kids love it, and the biggest thing is that it HELPS THEM WRITE!  We've been working on writing informational books lately.  Getting first graders to give lots of details is sometimes a struggle.  They aren't quite sure what all to write about.  Although we read lots of mentor texts, share the pen, and use graphic organizers to plan our writing, some of them still can't quite understand what they need to do.  I came up with a quick little reminder for them when they sit down to write.  This is really going to help them at the end of the year on their end-of-year writing assessment!

I give you...

Informational Writing Bracelets!


Supplies Needed:

-Black pipe cleaners
-Pony beads in the following colors: green, white, orange, brown, blue, yellow, and red
-Scissors

Each color bead represents a different sentence that goes into their paragraph/book.  In the end, the students end up with 7 sentences!  It's just a quick and simple reminder of the information they need to include.


We created an anchor chart to help the students learn to remember what each color bead stands for.  I have it hanging in our room so they can easily refer to it if they need a quick reminder.


It's such an easy thing to put together and use!  I got all of the supplies at Hobby Lobby.  I distribute them at the beginning of each writer's workshop and then collect them when we are done.  The kids want to take them home so badly, but I know I'll never see them again.  ;)  They'll be so excited when I send them home at the end of the year!

Let me know if you end up trying this and how it works out for your students!  :)

If you enjoyed this bright idea, consider following me on Facebook and Instagram!

For more bright ideas, click on any of the links below.  Thanks for visiting!  :)



5 comments:

  1. I've used these bracelets for math, I'll bet the kids respond to bracelets for writing as well!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article....
    leather belt

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I will have to think of how I can adapt these for my 4th graders. Thank you!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea! I have already sent it to my writing teammates.
    Em
    Curious Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,

    My name is Martin Legault and I'm the owner and founder of Resources4Teaching. I would like to invite you to join.

    Resources4Teaching.com is an online marketplace where teachers can start up their own educational store, share quality lessons and resources and try fresh new educational ideas in their classroom.

    Join today and and take advatage of the following:

    • Free Membership

    • Earn 70% - 85% on your Products

    • Get automatically paid at the time of the sale

    • We take care of the Paypal fees

    • Unlimited Product listing

    • Boost your Sales with our Referral

    • Earn a percentage on every sale in our marketplace simply by adverstising with one of our banners or widget

    • Promote your Store with your Personalized Business Card (Coming Soon)

    • The First Billingual Educational Platform (Coming soon)

    You can join by visiting us at www.resources4teaching.com

    We look forward to seeing you

    Resources4Teaching
    Created by Teachers, Exclusively for Teachers

    ReplyDelete