Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Remember Sandy Hook

A year ago this Saturday.  One of the most painful days for teachers across the country.  Even more painful for the families, teachers, students, and town of Newtown, Connecticut.  Why would anyone take the life of an innocent child?  It makes no sense.  It's horribly gut-wrenching.  

I remember briefly hearing something about it at school that day.  I only knew because I checked the news websites during my planning period.  Then when I got home and watched TV, I saw the horrible images of what happened while I was at school teaching my students.

I don't know about all of you, but my mind shifted towards the safety of my own school.  I realized we were just as vulnerable as high schools (where up until this point, most school shootings took place).  My room is the first one outside of the office.  The one with windows that face the front doors of the school.  I would lay awake at night thinking of how I would handle things, should someone open fire in my building.  As a newer mommy, my heart ached even more as I thought about my own child at the time.  Now I have 2 children and the thought hurts even more.  If someone ever hurt my babies, I don't know what I would do.

Have you seen this video?  Get tissues ready.


There's something sweeping across teacher blogs at the moment.  The mayor of Newtown, Connecticut encouraged people to commit Random Acts of Kindness on the anniversary of the school shooting - this coming Saturday.  As educators who's heart strings have been pulled, we are stepping up to promote the mayor's amazing idea.  In the words of the mom in the video above, evil did not win.

Will you join people across the nation to take part in Random Acts of Kindness?  Maybe it's paying for the car behind you in the drive thru.  Maybe it's taking a plate of cookies to your neighbor.  Maybe it's shoveling snow for an elderly couple.  Maybe it's leaving a $5 in a stocking at a store for someone's surprise when they buy it and take it home.  My family and I are going to leave a special treat in the mailbox for our mail carrier. :)  It doesn't have to be anything huge.  Just overcome evil with good.  :)


As educators, we remember and honor our fallen colleagues and their students from Sandy Hook School.  We honor them each day in our classrooms in which we continue their dream of teaching our children.  We honor their memory with our service.  Join with teachers everywhere in committing random acts of kindness to show our love for Sandy Hook.

Let's join together as a community of teachers, bloggers and FRIENDS to spread the word about this movement to honor Sandy Hook.  Let's not only commit to committing acts of kindness on December 14th, but let's commit to committing acts of kindness on December 15th and in the spring and the summer.  Let's commit do kindness for Sandy Hook.

Here are some ways to spread the word:

Feel free to use the image above and share it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and wherever you can.  Email it to all of your co-workers, friends and family.  Spread the word.  December 14th is a day to remember and honor Sandy Hook with simple acts of kindness.  

As you share on social media, please use the hashtag #love4SH to spread the word and fuel a movement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment