Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Small Group Instruction and some Chevron!

I'm a few days linking up with The Applicious Teacher, but I promise I've been busy working on some TPT stuff!



This week is all about Small Group Instruction.  It's my FAVORITE type of instruction, but managing it can be a pain in the rear end.  I KNOW you know what I'm talking about!  It takes skill and practice to get it down to a science.

I base my small group time off of The Daily Five.  Because of our crazy schedule, I had to modify it a bit.  Typically, I meet with 2 groups a day for a total of 30 minutes each.  I *wish* I had more time, but I don't.  Our schedule is pretty broken up during the day due to specials, lunch, recesses, pull-outs, Title I, Speech, and more.  I just make it work the best I can.

When I meet with my small groups, I ability group based on their needs.  I meet with NO MORE than 6, and I try to meet with 3-5 if at all possible.


While I work with a group, there are 5 other stations that the students go to.  I used to let them pick, but they kept picking the same one.  So I rotate them through and have a schedule of who goes where, just so I know they do all the different stations.

The one that is most excited to the kids is "Listen to Reading."  I use a set of iPads and they simply plug in their headphones.  I downloaded the Storia app and use my Book Club points to purchase Storia Books.  The app reads the books to the students and there are MANY other neat features!



Then there is "Work on Writing".  I have 6 plastic drawers full of writing templates for them to choose from.  They can also choose to write in their journal.


Next we have "Read to Self" where they read any book from the classroom library or their book box.  They get to choose where to read in the room.

Then there's "Read to Someone" where they partner up and read out loud together.  A lot of them take turns by reading different pages, sentences, chapters, etc.


And finally there's Word Work!  My favorite!  I have 10 drawers with 10 different word work activities in them.  The students choose which ones they want to do.  After they finish one, they can pick out another.  The activities are the same each week so that they can be more independent while still practicing the current skills.













That's pretty much the gist of small group time!

On another note, there are some CUTE classroom decor packs popping up on TPT right now.  Must be time to think about next school year.  ;)  I couldn't quite find what I was looking for, so I created one myself.  I have black bulletin boards in my room for next year and LOVE using bright colors to make it all pop.  AND I'm quite obsessed with chevron right now.  So I created a BRIGHT Chevron Decor Set!  I'm so excited to get it all put together in my room for next year.  You can snag it at my TPT shop!  If you check out the preview, it'll show you everything that's included.  :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment